Thursday, January 13, 2011

To please the Vegans

Ok, This is the post wherein I will write about the awesome pizza that I made last weekend but can't show you because I forgot to take pictures of the beautiful, finished product. You will just have to trust that it was as amazing as I say.

First the dough, remember? I decided to make something special for a vegan friend so no delicious buttery tomato sauce this time, i don't think margarine would be quite the same. I vaguely remember a seasonal fall pizza I had long ago that involved butternut squash and a balsamic reduction so I decided to try my hand at it. I am also a huge fan of potato pizza so i made a vegan version of it too.


I caramelized some onions, very simple but very time consuming. Lots of oil, lots of onions lots of stirring, time and tears. Roasted a small butternut squash with olive oil, salt and pepper and a bit of "pasta seasoning". Very easy- just throw it in at 400 and toss every 20 min. until done.

After the onions were done I deglazed the pan with 1/2 cup of Balsamic vinegar and reduced it by half. It turned out so good but the aroma in my house was very intense for long afterwards.

For the potato pizza I thinly sliced potatoes (the # 1 use for my mandolin slicer) for dairy eaters I use a base of Creme Fraiche and top it with a good white cheese (gruyere, swiss, gouda etc. )this time I used a smoked Gruyere blend from Trader Joes. For Vegans an olive oil base.
But all topped with caramelized onion and salt and pepper.
For the Butternut squash pizza- an olive oil base, salt, pepper, squash, caramelized onions (cheese for the normies) and a drizzle of the balsamic reduction right as it came out.

So, sorry you couldn't be there and that I forgot to photograph it but you can ask this girl, it was awesome.

2 comments:

  1. Would you please come make a pizza at our house........I am drooling on the keyboard just reading about this edible art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come here anytime and I will shower you in Pizza, Redmill burgers and canned products!

    ReplyDelete