Monday, September 26, 2011

Granola Power!


Granola! I started making it myself after a stint of low sugar dieting (once I realized that most granolas have almost as much fat and sugar as a candy bar). My first attempt was a total failure, I tried to bake it and what didn't end up burnt ended up raw. Since then I have simplified everything by doing it in small batches on the stove. Then I can stir it as much as it needs. I make it fairly often and have found that it,unlike canned goods,is useful as a travel gift because it isn't liquid so it's ok to carry on an airplane. 
The first step is to melt a few tablespoons of butter, or just pour in a few tablespoons of oil. It basically works with any fat. Once the butter is melted or the oil is hot pour in a few tablespoons or so of your sweetener of choice, I use honey and/or agave, and stir them together. 

Then, stir in a few cups of oats (I use 3 or 4) and after a few minutes stir in some chopped nuts, I always use sliced almonds and sometimes sesame seeds. I season it with a few teaspoons cinnamon and a bit less ginger, also a good pinch of salt. 


Once the oats seem toasted and it looks like granola, turn the heat off and add in your favorite dried fruit. Store in container of choice, You might choose to refrigerate if you used butter at the beginning. I haven't ever had the problem of it lasting long enough to worry about it!

 I know some people don't do well with this vague of instruction,all of these ingredients are acceptable raw so I encourage everyone to taste as you go to figure out what works. I'm sure most granola recipes could be easily adapted for the stove also. 

No comments:

Post a Comment